Family Friday: 20 Months Old


This month we took photos on the beach that is our backyard.  There are large volcanic rocks nearby that CC loves to climb on and sit on.  She and Dulce have a lot of fun on the beach!


At 20 months old, CC is 31 inches tall - she grew one whole inch in the past two months!  She wears size 4 diapers, and size 18 month clothing (though a most of her shirts are size 2T), and size 5 shoes (but will soon be a 6).


She likes doing everything by herself and only wants help when she can't do something alone or if she's tired.  For example, she likes walking up stairs all by herself if there is a wall or railing to hold onto, she likes to buckle herself into her booster seat for meals, and she likes to take her bib off by herself when she's done eating.


CC's sleeping schedule is still the consistent.  She is in bed by 7:30 and sleeps for 12+ hours.  She also takes one 2 hour nap a day in the afternoon. We always put her to bed with a doll, a couple of board books, and a couple of pacifiers.  She reads the books before falling asleep and in the morning she happily plays with her doll and reads until we go in to get her.  When we put her in her crib at night or for naps, she almost always cries like its the end of the world.  However as soon as we shut her door, she always stops crying within 30 seconds... little faker :)


Her hair is getting longer but you would never know it from the curls.  Her hair is well below her shoulder but the ringlets keep it looking short.  The ringlets in the back are just curling tighter the longer it gets so it be a long while before her hair actually touches her shoulders.



CC eats four times a day (three meals and one scheduled snack) with no snacking in-between and drinks a lot of water throughout the day. Because we don't snack, she is hungry at mealtimes and eats really well. She will eat almost everything I give her so I try to give her a variety. I recently discovered that she loved sliced cucumbers and steamed Kale but she still does not like potatoes and is not a big fan of squash. CC's diet has always been very clean because I really want her to develop healthy eating habits and a healthy lifestyle. She will eventually have the freedom to eat whatever she chooses but for now she can only eat what I give her so I make sure it's the best possible. Wanting her to eat healthy, having to prepare her meals, and not having her snack throughout the day has all positively affected my own diet and way of eating.



CC talks constantly... in her own language.  I am always trying to get her to say new words and often she will repeat something back to me.  However, she is not adding those words to her everyday spoken language yet.  Still, she will carry on an entire conversation with you if you keep responding to her.  I say a lot phrases like "wow, really?", "that's interesting, tell me more", "I know! I totally agree with you!", and "what else can you tell me about that?".  I can only imagine the conversations we'll have once she actually starts speaking English :)

Despite not using any real words, her inflection, facial expressions, and body language (and the fact that I'm with her 24/7) makes it pretty easy to understand what she is saying.  Her questions are most recognizable because of the enthusiastic way she asks them.  She has her phrases that almost sound like the real thing, such as "what was that?", "who is that?", and "where is it?".  When she is looking for something, she walks around with her hands out saying "hmmmmm" over and over - cutest thing ever!


CC didn't watch any television until she was 18 months old.  It's recommended you wait until 2 years old because "toddlers have a critical need for direct interactions with parents and caregivers for healthy brain growth and the development of appropriate social, emotional, and cognitive skills." (source)  I interact with CC all day so I don't feel that one TV show during her I'm-tired-but-not-tired-enough-for-a-nap time before lunch is going to hinder her growth or development.  She loves watching "her shows" and gets so excited watching them!  We mostly watch (on Netflix) Caillou (all episodes), Barney (the Let's Go to the Zoo, and the Sing and Dance episodes), and Curious George (all episodes).  Spanish versions of Caillou and Barney are available on YouTube which we can also watch on our TV.  I love watching the same episodes in both English and Spanish!  My spanish is limited so the shows are the best thing available for exposing her to fluent speakers.  It reiterates the spanish vocabulary I use with her and is teaching both of us new vocabulary.


CC is starting to throw tantrums.  She throws herself (gently) to the floor or against a wall, she throws things, and she scowls at me but despite all of that, she still wants me to hold her.  Her tantrums are almost always when she is tired or hungry.  She is a new child after a nap or a meal.


CC still loves books, music, dogs, cats, airplanes, purses, rocks, baby dolls, and stuffed animals.  She loves dancing, playing her instruments, climbing, cleaning, playing with water, and taking Dulce for walks.  She likes brushing her teeth (but doesn't like when I do it for her), she likes getting baths (but hates getting her hair rinsed), and she follows directions really well.

She is an amazing little girl who brings joy to all of my days :)




*******
"Let all that you do be done in love."
~ 1 Corinthians 16:14

1 comment:

  1. AJ,
    I haven't read your blog in a while and I am glad I did today. I am glad to know that our children are basically the same person. It gives me a lot of relief to know that I am not the only one who has an almost 2 year old that throws tantrums, brushes her own teeth and basically wants to do everything on her own! I hope you guys are doing well.
    I love the pictures.
    Cassidy

    ReplyDelete